Re: Typed tables

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Typed tables
Date: 2010-01-12 15:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2010-01-12 at 09:54 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> *) should 'create type as' get an 'alter'? ( I think most would think so)

Working on that right now ...

> *) if so, how do you distinguish between the composite and non
> composite version? How would this command look?

I'm only dealing with the composite types right now, and the syntax is
ALTER TYPE name ADD/DROP ATTRIBUTE name, per SQL standard.

> *) should we be able to define check constraints on composite types
> (presumably, enforced on a cast)?

That could be an interesting feature addition. It'd basically be the
composite-type version of domains.

> *) should 'create type as' should be walled off with 'create table'
> handling most cases of type creation? (previously would have said yes,
> but with typed table enhancement, probably not)

This might be a matter of taste, but also note that these interfaces are
prescribed by the SQL standard, so if you have them, they should do the
things the spec says.