Re: Schema vs Namespace

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema vs Namespace
Date: 2002-09-22 17:05:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What's the strategy for naming things schema or namespace? In notice that
> pg_dump messages are all about namespaces. That seems confusing from a
> user's viewpoint.

Probably the user-visible messages should all mention schemas.

I named the catalog pg_namespace because I didn't want to nail down
a presumption that the things in it are exactly equivalent to SQL
schemas; namespaces are an implementation mechanism to support schemas,
but not necessarily an equivalent concept. But this bit of
implementation philosophy isn't very relevant for users.