Re: Range types

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>, hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-16 22:31:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 14:29 +0100, tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de wrote:
> This alone would practically preclude discrete -- int and float would
> behave quite differently (float's "granules" growing towards the edges
> or having to choose a bigger granule for float than for int in the first
> place).

It may be an argument for a different range type name, or trying to spot
obviously dangerous things and throw an error.

But I don't think it's an argument to prevent a superuser from defining
a discrete range of whatever he or she wants, as long as they provide
the necessary functions.

Regards,
Jeff Davis