Re: garbage in psql -l

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: garbage in psql -l
Date: 2009-11-25 12:52:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2009-11-24 at 14:19 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder whether the most prudent solution wouldn't be to prevent
> default use of linestyle=unicode if ~/.psqlrc hasn't been read.

More generally, it would probably be safer if we used linestyle=unicode
only if the client encoding has been set on the client by some explicit
action, that is, either via PGCLIENTENCODING or an \encoding statement,
but *not* when it is just defaulted from the server encoding. Can we
easily detect this difference?