Re: small but useful patches for text search

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date: 2009-03-26 03:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, I am all wet. I now understand why the editing is the
> time-consuming part of this job. On the plus side it is probably
> possible to parallelize it to some degree by splitting the list into N
> pieces after the "remove insignificant items" step.

The advantage of having one person do it (and do it over a short period
of time) is that you end up with a fairly uniform "voice" across the
whole set of notes. Since we lack a professional copy editor, we'd have
a hard time coming out with something that wasn't pretty obviously a
patchwork if several people did bits of it.

In any case, the release notes aren't normally a bottleneck. I still
think that Bruce had his priorities out of whack in not cleaning up
his open-items list before doing this. If he had done so, nobody
would have noticed how long the notes took.