Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-07-03 02:13:21
Lists: pgsql-docs
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> People often built them to verify the SGML markup and to view the
>> content/markup before submitting a doc patch.

> Actually, they often DON'T, which is a problem, and adding more
> requirements is only going to make it worse.

> There is not much reason for an end-user to build the docs - most
> end-users will install from RPMs or one-click installers or whatever.
> But everyone who is a developer needs to be able to build them,

I think that adding dia to the set of requirements isn't that big a
deal, assuming that it's a widely available package.  It's just one
program and should be a lot easier to install and configure than our
other doc toolchain requirements.

What I'm more worried about at the moment is whether it's a reasonable
choice of tool.  If the "source" for a diagram is larger than the PNG
image representation, there is something seriously wrong with the
language design.