Re: Hot standby, pausing recovery

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, pausing recovery
Date: 2009-10-16 07:04:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 09:33 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> In advance-mode, we will merrilly skip over a WAL record that's a
> recovery stop target. Is that a bug or a feature?

Merrily?!? I saw it more as a sombre stepping motion.

Advance currently means set target at next record and continue. Only one
target is currently supported, which means there is no other recovery
stop target.

> If you pause recovery, and then continue, we reset to "target none"
> mode, even if a stopping point was set previously.

Yes, currently. Resetting the target mode will do what you want, rather
than continue.

> That doesn't seem right to me.

We can define these things various ways and I'm happy to change it to be
the way people find most intuitive and useful. You're the first person
to give me feedback on how these things should work, so I'm happy to
hear how you would like it to work.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com