Re: Privileges and inheritance

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Privileges and inheritance
Date: 2009-10-05 10:45:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 13:06 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 10:47 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > top level: data-template
> > main tables: data, data-recent both inherit from data-template
> > all partitions inherit from data
> > only recent partitions inherit from data-recent
> > grants are issued on data and data-recent
>
> I don't see where the problem is here.

In your last post you said it was necessary to use ONLY to address the
required partitions and so setup would be weird. I am showing that this
is not required and the setup is smooth.

The main point though is that this should not be a system-wide setting.
I agree with your overall intention, just not your specific solution.

We need improvements in partitioning, not minor tweaks. It seems much
better to me to hack out the portion of the last partitioning patch
(Kedar's) so that we just support new syntax without any underlying
changes (yet). We can mark a table as being partitioned and for such
tables skip the permission checks - no new GUC.

If you can push that change through as initial infrastructure then
others can work on internals - which were not close in that last patch.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com