Re: Best suiting OS

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
Cc: Denis Lussier <denis(dot)lussier(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, david(at)lang(dot)hm, S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-05 10:19:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 15:51 -0400, Mark Mielke wrote:
> If somebody were to come to you with a *new* deployment request, what
> would you recommend? Would you really recommend RHEL 5 *today*?

Well, "I" would, and I do recommend people. RHEL5 is well-tested, and
stable. Many hardware vendors support RHEL 5. The list goes on.

If I would want to live with bleeding edge, I'd use Fedora in my
servers. Otherwise, linux 2.6.31 is not *that much* better than Red
Hat's 2.6.18. Actually the point is: Red Hat's 2.6.18 is not actually
2.6.18.

I also want to state that Red Hat is adding new features to each point
release, as you know. It is not that old.

We have a customer that run ~ 1 hundred million transaction/hour , and
they run RHEL. We also have another one that runs about that one, and
guess which OS they are running?

If I weren't using RHEL, I'd use Ubuntu. Nothing else.

...and disclaimer: I don't work for Red Hat.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com