Re: Performance evaluation of PostgreSQL's historic releases

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: György Vilmos <vilmos(dot)gyorgy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance evaluation of PostgreSQL's historic releases
Date: 2009-10-02 19:26:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 09:36 +0200, György Vilmos wrote:

> I've done a benchmark of recent versions of PostgreSQL's last five
> major releases to see, how performance has changed during the past
> years from version to version.
> You can find the article here:
> http://suckit.blog.hu/2009/09/26/postgresql_history
>
> Thanks for working on this great piece of software!

Thanks for doing the benchmarks. I'd been meaning to write up something
about performance increases over that period from a development
perspective. It's good to see some numbers around that.

Your graphs tail off steeply as # threads increases. I guess they would
on a logarithmic graph, though I would guess that has more to do with
using 24 cores and contention than with a true limitation of capacity.

Do the FreeBSD folk got Dtrace working yet in userspace? Maybe we can
examine the contention. Not right now though, fairly busy.

8.4 numbers seem about right, though the #threads at peak seems slightly
off. I think you should look at the point where performance drops down
to 95% or less of peak, which would give a more stable and comparable
figure than just looking at a single peak value.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com