Re: Connecting to Teradata via Postgresql

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Ow Mun Heng <ow(dot)mun(dot)heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to Teradata via Postgresql
Date: 2009-09-01 08:13:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 23:21 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Anyone here has a teradata box ? Are you able to connect to it from withing
> postgresql?
>
> I would like to pull 1or 2 tables from the box (sync) and was wondering if
> there's anyway to do that w/o using dbi-link.
>
> I actually am trying dbi-link but it seem as though it doesn't support
> DBD::Teradata.
>
> Based on the error descriptions, and some googling, seems like Teradata.pm
> does not support the "column_info" DBI method of getting the column
> descriptions and such.
>
> is there any other methods available?

The open source version of DBD::Teradata is a cut down version and I
doubt this would be the only problem with it. Have you tried the
licenced version? If that doesn't work then probably best to report it
to the authors.

Otherwise, I'd do a bteq export in CSV format and reload using COPY.
It's likely to be faster too.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com