Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-06-30 15:52:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 15:11 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So it sounds like, if we improve the questions and take the sales lead
> stuff out, the community is fine with advertising the survey on
> www.postgresql.org?

What is special about this one company doing the survey? AFAICS,
nothing, it's just another way to do marketing. I'm told that's fair
game these days though. What I'm more concerned about is why PostgreSQL
isn't discussing doing this itself.

We (PostgreSL project) should be sending out an email one month after
release of 8.4 to elicit structured feedback. This should be an integral
part of the release process.

The questions mentioned on sample are mostly sales related questions. We
should be asking about a whole range of things that matter to PostgreSQL
adoption, e.g. Did you find the installer easy to use? Did you continue
to use PostgreSQL after the initial evaluation? then either What were
the reasons why you chose to adopt PostgreSQL? or What were the reasons
why you chose *not* to adopt PostgreSQL. etc - not just, how much money
have you got and how much of it are you willing to give to me?

We should compile list of questions, code up as SGML, allow time to
translate questions into all of our supported languages by our
translation team and then release survey when it is done. We can
consider the survey to be part of the docs for each release.

We can publish the anonymised dataset for people to analyze and discuss.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com