Re: solving wraparound

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: solving wraparound
Date: 2005-12-26 21:44:36
Lists: pgsql-general

> The only issue I can think of is that constraints might be violated
> (duplicate keys in unique index) because one of the records might have
> been invisible when the second was created...

More generally, application-driven updates of derived data might be
wrong because they omitted consideration of data that had become
invisible.

This might be a good time to press your buddy to move to 8.1 ;-)
PG 8.1 contains logic that should positively prevent a wraparound, by
shutting down the server if wraparound gets too close.