Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgUS 501c3 Public Charity
Date: 2009-05-07 15:57:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 16:25 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>
> > Isn't the majority of donations going to go to PgUS and pgEU anyway?
>
> I don't believe so,

Actually except for a very recent influx of a bulk sum into SPI, PgUS is
probably leading the pack for donations. I would expect that pgEU would
be in a similar situation after PgDay.eu.

> > What good will it to for SPI to attempt to support global activities
> > if it doesn't have any money?
>
> It wouldn't be any good, but it does have money so isn't a problem (at present).

There are a lot of pros and cons to staying with SPI. The number one pro
is that it gives International community members a way to help support
the project and in return gives .Org a way to return the support. Of
course there are issues in that as well which are probably best served
not being discussed on this thread (IRS rules etc..).

It is true that over the next year most money will likely funnel into
PgEU and PgUS. This makes sense as those are the most active communities
and those communities are actively providing services to their
respective communities.

I hope that a couple of things come out of this as a whole:

1. I would like to see more country or regional non profits. They are
always going to be better able to serve their needs than .Org.

2. For those places that won't or can't organize in such a way they
still have a place that they can affiliate with that will continue to
help support them.

In all I believe we need to be pushing hard to help any community that
is reasonably organized to get official (/me hints at Brazil).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997