Re: lazy vacuum blocks analyze

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lazy vacuum blocks analyze
Date: 2009-05-06 19:53:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera píše v st 06. 05. 2009 v 15:11 -0400:
> Zdenek Kotala wrote:
>
> > If there is not another problem I suggest to use two different locks for
> > vacuum and analyze.
>
> By itself that won't work -- see vac_update_relstats.

It says:

* Note another assumption: that two VACUUMs/ANALYZEs on a table can't
* run in parallel, nor can VACUUM/ANALYZE run in parallel with a
* schema alteration such as adding an index, rule, or trigger. Otherwise
* our updates of relhasindex etc might overwrite uncommitted updates.

But what "two VACUUMs/ANALYZEs on a table" exactly means? It is not
clear here if VACUUMxANALYZE parallel run is allowed or not. I also
don't see explanation why it is not allowed? From code I don't see any
problem here.

Zdenek