Re: metadata development

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Dara Olson <dolson(at)glifwc(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: metadata development
Date: 2009-03-28 07:44:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:44 -0500, Dara Olson wrote:

> I am new to postgres/postgis and am trying to figure out the best way
> to approach documenting metadata within postgres. Has there been
> anything developed to add FGDC or Dublin Core standard metadata
> records into postgres for each table within the database? Is there
> any program that can access postgres to insert metadata based on a
> standard or any other way to document metadata for a postgres
> database? Any help, suggestions or advice from prior experiences
> would be greatly appreciated.

The only way we have of adding additional metadata onto an object is via
the COMMENT command, which accepts a text string as input.

You can fill that with metadata as much as you like - the system never
touches that information other than to store it. So you can put an XML
fragment with Dublin Core tags in there etc.

I think your suggestion that we should have a/another field to store
structured metadata about objects is a good one. It would certainly
encourage better documentation in-database. Perhaps as an additional XML
column.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com