Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum
Date: 2009-03-26 21:23:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 13:43 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I agree with Magnus' original reasoning: we can have more than one
> > autovacuum process, so we may have autovacuum_max_workers active and so
> > the work mem they use must be smaller. For maintenance_work_mem we would
> > typically only have one session using it at any time, so we either have
> > to start hardcoding the value in scripts or accept the fact it has been
> > set lower.
>
> I actually have a client who does both automated and manual vacuums.
> Having two settings would definitely be convenient for them.
>
> That said, it would be unnecessary if I could use ROLES to set
> parameters more reliably ....

Hmmm, perhaps the right way to do this is to have a user called
"autovacuum" that is used to perform autovacuums.

That way we can actually get rid of a few autovacuum_* parameters
without losing function, and yet add the capability to change
maintenance_work_mem just for autovacuum. Avoid some special case code
also, like setting of zero_damaged_pages.

Seems like a nice small change for 8.4?

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com