Re: small but useful patches for text search

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date: 2009-03-21 16:55:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2009-03-21 at 12:02 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 21 March 2009 09:04:12 Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > > Robert Haas wrote:
> <snip>
> > My concern with the list of outstanding items for 8.4 based on a quick
> > look is that I think many of those things are not, in fact,
> > outstanding items for 8.4, and those that are may not be important
> > enough to hold up beta for.  Now since I haven't read through them all
> > yet, I'm not 100% sure of that, but that's my concern for what it's
> > worth.
> >

> Robert,  this has been discussed many times before, and most people agree with
> you, but Bruce doesn't. I think the ony way this will change is if someone
> takes on the role of "release notes manager", subscrbes to pgsql-commits, and
> then starts updating a wiki page as each item is committed. Once other
> committers see that, I'm guessing they will start helping, and eventually
> Bruce will join in. Outside of that I think we're wasting our time on this.

This is actually a good point regardless of Bruce. The run down is this:

We have an individual that does stuff a certain way. That way works for
him. That individual is the one actually doing the work.

We have other individuals who would like to do it a different way.

I invite those individuals to do so. If there way proves to be more
efficient the community will move in that direction.

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Robert Treat
> Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net
> Consulting: http://www.omniti.com

   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997