Re: Bumping block size to 16K on FreeBSD...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bumping block size to 16K on FreeBSD...
Date: 2003-08-28 19:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> Are there any objections
> to me increasing the block size for FreeBSD installations to 16K for
> the upcoming 7.4 release?

I'm a little uncomfortable with introducing a cross-platform variation
in the standard block size. That would have implications for things
like whether a table definition that works on FreeBSD could be expected
to work elsewhere; to say nothing of recommendations for shared_buffer
settings and suchlike.

Also, there is no infrastructure for adjusting BLCKSZ automatically at
configure time, and I don't much want to add it.