Re: Hot Standby (v9d)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby (v9d)
Date: 2009-02-03 14:33:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 08:40 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Actually we came up with a solution to this - use filesystem level
> > snapshots (like LVM2+XFS or ZFS), and redirect backends with
> > long-running queries to use fs snapshot mounted to a different
> > mountpoint.
> >
> > I don't think Simon has yet put full support for it in code, but it is
> > clearly _the_ solution for those who want to eat the cake and have it
> > too.
> >

> How does that work if you're using mutiple file systems via tablespaces
> (e.g. indexes in a different TS)?

Basically the same way we do WAL shipping up to 8.3.

That is using external scripts. Once we have enough experience, we could
try to move tha actual snapshot-mount-switch inside the core

Hannu Krosing http://www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Scalability and Availability
Services, Consulting and Training