Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Subject: Re: 8.4 release planning (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules)
Date: 2009-01-27 16:03:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 15:51 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> >> That will send a fine message to those companies that have sponsored
> >> development work - that we will arbitrarily reject large patches that
> >> have been worked on following the procedures that we require.
> >
> > We are not subject to the whims of company sponsorship. We are not a
> > company with shareholders... Where have I heard that before?
>
> Not basing our release schedule on our commitments to shareholders is
> an entirely different thing to treating sponsors of major features
> like crap by arbitrarily bouncing the patches they've paid to have
> properly developed within the community process with no good reason.

Certainly but I haven't seen a suggestion to that. Updateable views has
as I have seen in threads, issues that can not be fixed in the
appropriately time line. If they can be fixed for 8.5 great.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997