Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-15 17:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Brendan Jurd" <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Most people wanting to learn about which system functions are
> > available will be surely be going to the manual, not using \df?
>
> I think people use \df all the time to check the argument list, verify
> whether they remember the function name correctly, etc. It's not for
> "learning about" stuff you never heard of, it's for remembering details
> (as indeed is the usage for user-defined functions too).

Perhaps the way to solve this problem is to change the way the output is
rendered. E.g;

\df output wraps at 1024x768 which greatly limits usability as a whole.
I hadn't noticed this until today as my workstation video card exploded
and I have a temporary one that can't do more than 1024x768 with linux.
Dropping the return type from the default output would solve this
problem I think (use + to get the return type).

More importantly why not just have it so \df sorts like this:

1. session users functions first
2. public functions second
3. pg_catalog functions last

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> regards, tom lane

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997