Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta
Date: 2009-01-13 19:03:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 22:34 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Now that we are two months into the final commit fest, it is time to
> finalize all the open patches so we can target a February beta.
>
> The two major outstanding patches are:
> o Recovery, Replication, Hot Standby: We need a _final_ version
> of any patches that are targeted for 8.4. There is so much activity in
> this area I am unclear what is ready for 8.4.
>
> I think the remaining patches can be addressed pretty easily but we need
> final versions from any authors who are still adjusting them.
>
> Let's see what we can get done in the next two weeks and reevaluate.

I'm continuing to work on Hot Standby as we speak, implementing
requested changes and fixing bugs found by myself and others.
Detailed project status is updated as it happens here
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby#Project_Status_Tracking

Some major refactoring was completed yesterday (after being agreed
earlier that day) and there were still other things being cleaned up.

There have been calls to complete this immediately from a number of
hackers and although I understand the urgency, blurting out a patch that
has not been through a full test cycle will hinder not help this patch.

We expect a full test cycle to be completed on Friday. I will publish a
new version each day on hackers until then, but please don't start
shouting "you haven't tested it" cos the simple truth is we won't have
*re*-tested it to the standard we all expect from PostgreSQL before then
given the nature of testing required.

I also want to reserve the right to discuss things on-list. I don't want
to be forced into discussing things secretly simply to give a good
impression. And I may even ask for more help. If you have a bug or a
question or a refactoring change, ask now - on list.

So let's follow what Bruce suggested above and wait the rest of the two
weeks and then reevaluate. Thanks.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com