Re: Reduction in WAL for UPDATEs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reduction in WAL for UPDATEs
Date: 2007-03-28 00:48:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It seems possible to reduce overall WAL volume by roughly 25% on common
> workloads by optimising the way UPDATE statements generate WAL.

This seems a huge amount of work to optimize *one* benchmark. If it
weren't so narrowly focused on the properties of a particular benchmark
(mostly UPDATE, mostly a few columns in wide tuples), I'd get more
excited. The extra time spent holding exclusive lock on the page
doesn't sound attractive either ...