Re: Well done, Hackers

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Well done, Hackers
Date: 2008-11-01 22:53:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 16:21 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > "Well done"? It seems to me that we are right where we hoped not to be,
> > ie with a ton of barely-completed (if not self-admitted WIP) patches
> > dropped on us immediately before feature freeze. Today the commit fest
> > idea is looking like a failure.
> >
> > If we actually manage to ship 8.4 within six months, *that* will be
> > "well done".
>
> It looks to me like there are at least half a dozen patches submitted
> in the last week that are pretty half-baked

Robert,

Without review, how can we determine the true state of a patch? I would
guess that you haven't done a review of all of them yourself to
determine that.

Your characterisation of other developers seems negative to me and I
really do hope unfair. Nobody I know has submitted anything half-baked,
but I haven't reviewed any patches yet. Review is about asking for help
from your peers, not an admission of crap software. We're all seeking to
learn more and be better, I hope.

If this sounds like a flame, its not. I just want to be positive about
the efforts of so many people who are all working together as a team.
There will be some hard, honest reviews and some patches may not make
it, so its a good time to say thanks for trying so hard.

For myself, I've submitted a patch touching more than 60 files. Am I
nervous I got something wrong? Damn right. Is there some horror lurking
in there that I'm not saying, but frantically fixing now? No way. That's
not the spirit.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com