Re: 8.3.4 PITR recovery questions

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.4 PITR recovery questions
Date: 2008-10-30 07:59:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 15:09 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> In both cases it seemed to take longer to apply the WAL files during
> the recovery process than we're used to from 8.2 I don't have hard
> numbers, but before I spent time investigating I thought I would ask
> here if that is already a known issue.

We're doing a lot in 8.4 to improve performance. I'm allowing bgwriter
to be active, so that cleaning and restartpoints are handled
asynchronously. Koichi is releasing a patch to use readahead on the WAL
files. Taken together we might expect recovery to be at least twice as
fast on a 2+ CPU system.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com