Re: Keeping creation time of objects

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Keeping creation time of objects
Date: 2008-09-10 08:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 09:27 +0300, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> >> AFAICS, PostgreSQL is not keeping info about when a table, database,
> >> sequence, etc was created. We cannot get that info even from OS,
> >> since CLUSTER or VACUUM FULL may change the metadata of
> >> corresponding relfilenode.
> >
> > When people aren't keeping track of their DDL, that is very strictly a
> > process problem on their end. When people are shooting themselves in
> > the foot, it's a great disservice to market Kevlar shoes to them.
>
> Word. In the company I'm currently working at we store database schema
> in a VCS repository with minor and major version taggings. And there is
> a current_foo_soft_version() function that returns the revision of the
> related database schema. If there is no control over the database schema
> changes in a company working scheme, the most logging-feature-rich
> PostgreSQL release will provide an insignificant benefit compared the
> mess needs to get fixed.

Timestamps should rather be considered a forensic tool.

You may have the best VCS system, but if somebody bypasses it, you may
still need to find out, when it was done.

Until we have some enforcable audit facilities for DDL in place _inside_
the database, having at least timestamps often helps.

Hannu