Re: support for connection parameters

From: Olaf Frączyk <olaf(at)cbk(dot)poznan(dot)pl>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: support for connection parameters
Date: 2008-08-21 15:50:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 16:11 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Olaf Frączyk <olaf(at)cbk(dot)poznan(dot)pl> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I define a new connection to a server I can enter
> > host,port,username etc.
> >
> > I want to be able to define "search_path" to work with different
> > schemas. I don't wan't to create a dozen of login roles with different
> > search_path setting.
> >
> > The simplest solution would be to be able to define such variables at
> > "Object browser" level. Then I could create several connections to my
> > server with different search_path settings.
> >
> > However there is no way to do it nor to add an SQL statement to be
> > executed at the beginning of every connection.
> >
> > There are other useful settings that could be managed this way.
> >
> > Is there any hope that it will be implemented in some future version?
>
> What do you expect it to accomplish? As a graphical tool, pgAdmin
> steps neatly round the vast majority of search path issues in the user
> interface. It's only when you start using the query tool that you
> might want to tweak the search path (and in that case, just store the
> required SET query as a macro, and run it as needed.

Yes, I use it for query tool (I use "Favourites").
However it needs to be done for every query tool window, as every window
creates a separate connection. It's not nice but I could live with it.

The problem is that I use functions and trigger functions that need
search_path to be set correctly. So it breaks if I try to
insert/modify/delete data in a table using the graphical tool.

And hardcoding schemas in functions is not the way to go :)

Regards,

Olaf

--
Olaf Frączyk <olaf(at)cbk(dot)poznan(dot)pl>