Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Cc: Jukka Honkela <fatal(at)ees2(dot)oulu(dot)fi>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM ANALYZE FAILS on 7.0.3
Date: 2001-01-24 15:14:02
Lists: pgsql-general

"Dave Cramer" <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net> writes:
> #0 0x40171b80 in strcoll () at strcoll.c:228
> 228 strcoll.c: No such file or directory.

Hm. This may be a variant of the problem that Jukka Honkela
<fatal(at)ees2(dot)oulu(dot)fi> has reported. For him, strcoll() is crashing
even though it's being passed perfectly valid strings to compare.
We suppose that the locale data structures that strcoll() uses are
being clobbered sometime before the crash, but haven't figured out
how or where.

What's interesting is that he saw it under 7.1beta. We'd assumed that
it was a new bug in 7.1 code, but if you're seeing the same thing on
7.0.3 then it's not new. (But then why aren't there more reports?
Maybe the problem only occurs on a particular platform, or a particular
libc version, and/or with particular locale environment settings? What
is your platform & environment, anyway?)

Anyway, if you have time to dig in and see exactly why strcoll is
crashing, another pair of eyes on the problem would surely help.