Re: CommitDelay performance improvement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date: 2001-02-23 23:02:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It could be tough. Imagine the delay increasing to 3 seconds? Seems
> there has to be an upper bound on the sleep. The more you delay, the
> more likely you will be to find someone to fsync you.

Good point, and an excellent illustration of the fact that
self-adjusting algorithms aren't that easy to get right the first
time ;-)

> Are we waking processes up after we have fsync()'ed them?

Not at the moment. That would be another good mechanism to investigate
for 7.2; but right now there's no infrastructure that would allow a
backend to discover which other ones were sleeping for fsync.