Re: Overblogging etc

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Overblogging etc
Date: 2008-01-14 20:55:46
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 15:20 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magus Ha gander wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > The reason I have so many blog entries is that I just started a Postgres
> > > blog and had some pent-up items to post about.
> > >
> > > As far as long entries, you wil not see them from me. I am usually
> > > brief, even in email. And I probably will be pretty frequent.
> >
> > There's a difference between brief and one-liners. Brief is fine by me.
> > To look at your blog as an example, the latest two posts are absolute
> > fine - while brief. It's the first two one-liners that seem a bit
> > unnecessary for syndication.
>
> I assume Planet PostgreSQL is for blogging, not for writing technical
> articles. If every blog posting is going to go through such scrutiny it
> isn't worth it for me to be on Planet PostgreSQL. Feel free to remove
> me.
>
> The bottom line is that every Planet PostgreSQL blog items takes the
> same space on the Postgres web site as an event or training course.
> This significantly raises the bar on what you want to have on Planet
> PostgreSQL. Obviously a significant number of people are willing to
> write article-length postings to reach that bar; I am not.

If you had written as much on your blog as you had here, nobody would
have said a thing. Nobody has asked for an article, but writing multiple
one line blogs in succession is clearly different. That wouldn't be
acceptable from Mr.Marketing of Company XYZ, so must include you also.

Editorial guidelines apply in all other cases, including for example
long debates about whether words have "s" or "z" in them. If anybody
posted that they were going to refuse to write docs ever again as a
result, they would be considered unreasonable.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com