Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bigtime scaling of Postgresql (cluster and stuff I suppose)
Date: 2007-08-27 16:01:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 27, 2007, at 11:04 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> It was a way to scale many small systems for certain kinds of
> workloads. My impression is that in most cases, it's a SQL-ish
> solution to a problem where someone decided to use the SQL nail
> because that's the hammer they had. I can think of ways you could

The underlying table type can be used directly, similarly to how the
"DB" table type is built on the DB library. The issue is whether you
can do that without some strange licensing problems.

I wouldn't use it for "permanent" data. It would be awesome for a
cache of the "hot" data in your app, and perhaps even for realized
views that speed up your interactive app.