AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: Issue NOTICE for attempt to raise lock level?
Date: 2000-11-07 16:48:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A NOTICE might be useful to users since it would complain about
> deadlock-prone user-level coding practices too, such as
>
> begin;
> select * from foo; -- grabs read lock
> lock table foo; -- grabs exclusive lock

Although this is deadlock prone praxis, there is no mention in any standard that
this is not allowed or depricated. Thus we are imho not allowed to issue a notice.

Of course my opinion is that you should release the lock after select
if isolation is not RR or serializable. Thus not leading to a deadlock situation.
(I do have strong feelings about this issue)

Andreas