Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <Josh(dot)Berkus(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
Date: 2007-10-29 21:58:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-10-27 kell 14:10, kirjutas David Fetter:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:05:26AM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-10-27 kell 12:55, kirjutas Josh Berkus:
> > > Merlin, Pavel,

> > > The other big useful feature we're missing from Functions is
> > > multisets.
> >
> > I think that support for multisets has been removed from our fe-be
> > protocol implementation bit-by-bit.
> How do you mean?
> The only way I've done multisets is by creating functions that return
> multiple refcursors, either in a row or as SETOF.  Is or was there
> some other way?

I _think_ that originally an SQL function with multiple SELECTs was
meant to return results for all these in a row, as a multiset.

I don't think that this has ever been the case, at least not after
switch from Postgres 4.2 Quel to Postgres95 SQL.

What I was referring to, was a "code cleanup" of libpq several years
ago, when someone (maybe Bruce IIRC) removed ability to accept multiple
recordsets from backend altogether, on the basis that it is not used