Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <Josh(dot)Berkus(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
Date: 2007-10-29 21:58:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-10-27 kell 14:10, kirjutas David Fetter:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 12:05:26AM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-10-27 kell 12:55, kirjutas Josh Berkus:
> > > Merlin, Pavel,

> > > The other big useful feature we're missing from Functions is
> > > multisets.
> >
> > I think that support for multisets has been removed from our fe-be
> > protocol implementation bit-by-bit.
>
> How do you mean?
>
> The only way I've done multisets is by creating functions that return
> multiple refcursors, either in a row or as SETOF. Is or was there
> some other way?

I _think_ that originally an SQL function with multiple SELECTs was
meant to return results for all these in a row, as a multiset.

I don't think that this has ever been the case, at least not after
switch from Postgres 4.2 Quel to Postgres95 SQL.

What I was referring to, was a "code cleanup" of libpq several years
ago, when someone (maybe Bruce IIRC) removed ability to accept multiple
recordsets from backend altogether, on the basis that it is not used
anyway.

Hannu