Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal when WALarchiving is enabled

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jacky Leng <lengjianquan(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why copy_relation_data only use wal when WALarchiving is enabled
Date: 2007-10-17 13:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 12:11 +0100, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 17:18 +0800, Jacky Leng wrote:
> >> Second, suppose that no checkpoint has occured during the upper
> >> series--authough not quite possible;
> >
> > That part is irrelevant. It's forced out to disk and doesn't need
> > recovery, with or without the checkpoint.
> >
> > There's no hole that I can see.
>
> No, Jacky is right. The same problem exists at least with CLUSTER, and I
> think there's other commands that rely on immediate fsync as well.
>
> Attached is a shell script that demonstrates the problem on CVS HEAD
> with CLUSTER. It creates two tables, T1 and T2, both with one row. Then
> T1 is dropped, and T2 is CLUSTERed, so that the new T2 relation file
> happens to get the same relfilenode that T1 had. Then we crash the
> server, forcing a WAL replay. After that, T2 is empty. Oops.
>
> Unfortunately I don't see any easy way to fix it.

So, what you are saying is that re-using relfilenodes can cause problems
during recovery in any command that alters the relfilenode of a
relation?

If you've got a better problem statement it would be good to get that
right first before we discuss solutions.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com