Re: Release notes introductory text

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release notes introductory text
Date: 2007-10-12 06:51:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

> > Kevin Grittner wrote:
> >> If the goal is to provide fair warning of a high-than-usual-risk
> >> release, you've got it covered.
>
> > No, that was not the intent. The indent was to say we got a lot done in
> > one year. You have a suggestion?
>
> Yeah: take the entire paragraph out again. I concur with Neil that
> it's nothing but marketing fluff, and inaccurate fluff at that.

I think it is important that we are up beat about what we have achieved,
but perhaps we should avoid opinions in the release notes.

Perhaps it should be part of the press release?

We should say that the release notes get discussed on -hackers and the
press releases get discussed on -advocacy. That way the scope is clear
and we can keep the marketing at arms length from the engineering. I
think we need both, but in appropriate places.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com