Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, ..., ..., ... ON database.* to username

From: dterrors(at)hotmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, ..., ..., ... ON database.* to username
Date: 2007-10-02 19:42:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Oct 2, 12:06 pm, Chris Browne <cbbro(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:
> The trouble is that "GRANT ON *.*" seems to be a lazy shortcut for
> someone who *thinks* they're trying to secure their system, but that
> would rather say "well, everything" as opposed to looking at things
> properly.
>
> That is, if you don't know what tables and other objects need to be
> secured, how can you have any idea that you're handling the securing
> of your application properly???

I wonder if you would've given the same response 40 years ago when
someone invented "chmod <perms> *"

"If you don't know what files and other objects need to be secured,
how can you have any idea that you're handling the securing of your
file system properly???"

What if I DO know what tables I have, and I DO want them to all have
the same perms?