Re: Turn off vacuum in pgbench?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Turn off vacuum in pgbench?
Date: 2007-09-25 18:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 22:16 +0530, Pavan Deolasee wrote:

> The only problem I faced is while executing custom scripts using
> pgbench.
> You either need to do the initialization (pgbench -i) or run with -n
> option
> (no vacuum). But I don't have any strong preference here.

Yes, I had that problem too.

pgbench allows you to run a script file, but there is no way to run an
initialiser script for a custom workload. Worse, if you don't do -n when
you run a custom script, it tells you that the branches table doesn't
exist, which is strange if you aren't using that in your scripts.

Proposed enhancement to pgbench:

-g filename

runs filename prior to start of main test transactions. Only used in
conjunction with the -f option. Normal cleaning/vacuuming of TPC-B
tables does not occur if -g option set.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com