Fast backup/restore

From: Gandalf <gandalf(dot)me(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fast backup/restore
Date: 2006-10-16 10:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

I am looking for a *fast* backup/restore tools for Postgres. I've found
the current used tools pg_dump and pg_restore to be very slow on large
databases (~30-40GB). Restore takes time in the tune of 6 hrs on a Linux, 4
proc, 32 G RAM machine which is not acceptable.

I am using "pg_dump -Fc" to take backup. I understand binary compression
adds to the time, but there are other databases (like DB2) which take much
less time on similar data sizes.

Are there faster tools available?

Thanks.