Re: [HACKERS] Minor bugs and a formatting gripe

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Minor bugs and a formatting gripe
Date: 1998-09-04 14:53:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> BUT: I am not happy that the script chooses to reflow block comments.

> `Box' comments. Indent assumes that any comment with a dash or
> star imme- diately after the start of comment (that is, `/*-' or
> `/**') is a comment surrounded by a box of stars. Each line of
> such a comment is left un- changed, except that its indentation
> may be adjusted to account for the change in indentation of the
> first line of the comment.

> Do you still want me to turn it off?

Ah. OK, learn something new every day ;-). Now that I know how to
control it, I can live with it.

A suggestion: it'd be worth making an entry in FAQ_DEV that talks about
coding style conventions and points out that people should expect to
have their code reformatted by pgindent. As I don't have indent
installed on my system, I have very little idea what to expect from it;
I can't readily consult the man page.