Re: max_connections

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John D(dot) Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_connections
Date: 2005-08-29 19:00:39
Lists: pgsql-general

"John D. Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org> writes:
> I'm now fiddling with some of the performance parameters, and I'm
> wondering about max_connections. The default appears to be 100 - this
> is at least an order of magnitude higher than I need. Would much be
> saved by dropping this down to 10 or less?

Nothing at all, really, AFAIK; just a little bit of shared memory.

On certain platforms (OS X at least) there is a penalty to oversized
max_connections because each per-backend-slot semaphore is an open file
that has to be passed down when a new backend process is forked. But
this is not true on Solaris. I doubt you'd see any difference.