join by char(16) or by bytea?

From: "Sergei Shelukhin" <realgeek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: join by char(16) or by bytea?
Date: 2007-04-08 21:16:06
Lists: pgsql-general

One more newbie question.
Due to limitations of both pg and php I gave up on the attempts to
make bigint keys work; I have a choice between 16-byte character
strings or "8-byte" bytea (decode(string_from_above, "hex")) for an
index column for a table.

Which one will be faster for exact matches and joins? Tables will be
big,
there will be no range queries and no partial matching.

Again I cannot test it because I lack production data, I wonder if
it's common knowledge?