Re: fsync or fdatasync

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Gaetano Mendola" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fsync or fdatasync
Date: 2002-09-09 16:50:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Gaetano Mendola" <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> apparently the default value for wal_sync_method is fsync,
> and apparently the best method is fdatasync.

Best on what platform, and according to what evidence?

We'll be glad to consider changing the default for a specific platform
if we have a reasonably convincing argument that the other value is
better. So far, not much study has been done of which method is best
on which platforms (and under what load conditions).