Re: Rule recompilation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rule recompilation
Date: 2001-07-12 19:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> This isn't local recompilation in current backend. It's
> recreation of the pg_rewrite entry for a relation, including
> propagation.

Where I'd like to go (see my previous mail) is that pg_rewrite,
pg_attrdef, and friends store *only* the source text of rules,
default expressions, etc. No compiled trees at all in the database.
So there's no need to update the database entries, but there is a
need for something like a shared-cache-invalidation procedure to cause
backends to recompile things that depend on updated relations.