Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprofprofilingoverwrites

From: <korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Mark Kirkwood" <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprofprofilingoverwrites
Date: 2007-02-01 15:52:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

> >> What about a "--enable-gprof" (or "--enable-profiling"?) configure
> >> flag? This could add the appropriate compiler flags to CFLAGS, enable
> >> LINUX_PROFILE if on Linux, and enable the "gprof/pid" mkdir().
>
> > That would really only work for GCC, wouldn't it?
>
> Well, yeah, but that's what many of us use anyway. I would envision it
> as adding $(PROFILE) to CFLAGS, and then there would be one place
> to adjust "-pg" to something else for another compiler --- perhaps the
> template files could be given a chance to change PROFILE to something
> else.

I don't feel competent to muck around with configure.in (sorry, I'm not
tying to shirk the work, I've just never had any success in writing
configure/automake/autoconf stuff - I have the "leaping goats" book, but
I need a small meaningful example to start with).

Can someone else volunteer to make this change? And then forward the
patch to me so I can learn something useful about how to change
configure.in without breaking it?

-- Korry