Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprofprofilingoverwrites

From: <korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Mark Kirkwood" <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprofprofilingoverwrites
Date: 2007-02-01 14:19:53
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > Right - but LINUX_PROFILE was added to correct Linux specific oddities
> > with the time counter accumulation, whereas your patch is not Linux
> > specific at all. So I think a more representative symbol is required.
>
> Yeah, that was my problem with the patch too. The issue that it's
> addressing isn't Linux-specific in the least.
>
> Is there a way to detect via #if that profiling is enabled? I wouldn't
> expect a really portable answer, but maybe there's something that works
> for gcc?

You're right - I hadn't really looked beyond the problem that I was
trying to solve.

The technique should work for gprof on other platforms, but, as you
point out, LINUX_PROFILE is unique to Linux (no, I hadn't noticed that,
but it seems pretty obvious in retrospect).

I like Neil's idea of a using --enable-profiling configure flag. Every
time I need to profile, I have to go search the archives for 'gprof' -
it would be nice to see --enable-profiling when I configure --help.

-- Korry