Re: recovery.conf parsing problems

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: <andrew(at)supernews(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery.conf parsing problems
Date: 2006-12-13 19:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 19:28 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 04:23 +0000, Andrew - Supernews wrote:
> > While testing a PITR recovery, I discovered that recovery.conf doesn't
> > seem to allow specifying ' in the command string, making it hard to
> > protect the restore_command against problematic filenames (whitespace
> > etc.). This doesn't seem to be a problem for archive_command, which
> > allows \' (e.g. archive_command = '/path/to/script \'%f\' \'%p\'').

Immediate workaround is to use a script to encapsulate the actual
desired request.

> > Should this be fixed?
>
> Yes, I'll look into that.

OK, I would propose to extend the guc-file.l to include sufficient code
to allow the parsing of the conf files to be identical between the
postgresql.conf and the recovery.conf (it isn't the same yet).

There'll be care taken to ensure that the various options are not
settable in the wrong file.

Any requests for specific implementation details? I'll be looking to
remove code from xlog.c, if possible.

Implementation won't be immediate because of other current work.

--
Simon Riggs