Re: Switching to XML

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Blewett <david(at)dawninglight(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-08 22:03:03
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > OO treats Docbook like a normal document. You will however loose styles
> > (like bold, italic). It does support tables, it understands
> > transformation from things like sect1 (from OO heading1) etc...
> >
> > The style loss is to be expected because Docbook doesn't contain
> > representation data. That belongs to a style sheet.
>
> and let me add that I'm not really anti-sgml docbook, I just couldn't
> find a "starter set" for editing the stuff. It seemed like everything I
> found on docbook xml was written for people who already use docbook xml.

Nor am I anti-sgml. I am however anti-noncontribution, if people are not
contributing because of our sgml but would if it is xml, that is a no
brainer.

Further, here is a real world problem that our toolset creates...

I take 5 minutes, change the stylesheet for SGML. I want to see what my
changes will look like... 3 days later, I will know.

That is stupid. If it was XML, it would be 30 minutes. That is a
workable timeframe.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/