Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL win32 fragmentation issue
Date: 2006-12-02 16:56:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Well, we mostly do random reads (seek) all the time anyway, so is this
> > really a concern?
> >
> > Are you using NTFS or FAT? You didn't answer that question.
> >

> If it's FAT then you deserve what you get.

I am investigating this for the wider community. I do not, use
PostgreSQL Win32 for anything but testing, but guess what -- our silent
majority does. I have a customer with 5000 Win32 installations and they
are not the only ones with those types of deployments.

I am trying to get as much information as possible so that:

1. We can update the documentation to correctly reflect issues with
Win32.

2. We can hopefully become the dominant database on Win32.

> If you really need this, a Slony setup would probably work well.

The idea of Slony with Windows is a bit terryfying considering the
target Admin audience and the performance hit one would take.

> Shut down
> replica, defrag, start up replica, wait for sync completion, switchover
> and repeat. The new Slony release is said to support Windows.

O.k., doesn't this seem like killing a squirrel with a 50mm tank gun?
The fact that this was suggested as anything but a last resort isn't to
inspiring.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/