Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing support for v1 and v2 protocols?
Date: 2014-06-19 03:10:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I've just found a bug (followup mail to come) that seems to be tied up
> in support for the old v1/v2 protocols.

> Is there any reason to keep all that cruft? v3 was introduced in 7.4, in
> 2003-11-17 .

FWIW, I've been thinking of proposing that we drop v2 protocol support
in libpq and the backend.

I don't recall at the moment what the differences were between v1 and v2,
but I think that libpq hasn't had v1 support since 7.4, if not further
back. The backend might still nominally support v1, but that code is
surely pretty untested anymore. So you definitely don't want v1, if
indeed ODBC still contains support for that.